Policy About Sales tax

Recent changes in sales tax laws in some states require JoyfulGives (and other online marketplaces) to collect and remit sales tax on certain sales. JoyfulGives collects sales tax at the basic personal property rate for items sold into a state where JoyfulGives will be considered the “seller” for sales tax purposes. JoyfulGives collects tax on items sold through JoyfulGives’s payment processing services.

JoyfulGives will automatically calculate and apply the tax rate for items sold into affected states. If you are a supporter selling a taxable item, you won’t need to take any additional steps: JoyfulGives will handle the calculation, filing, and reporting as if the sale was made by JoyfulGives.

The sales tax for an in-person transaction is based on the location where the item was posted.

You should note that JoyfulGives does not collect taxes on sales that are paid in cash or through an off-platform payment service, so if sales or use taxes are due on such sales, you will need to manage that yourself. In addition, JoyfulGives does not collect sales tax in states where JoyfulGives would not be considered the “seller” under the applicable marketplace sales tax laws, but you may have a separate tax collection and reporting requirement in those states for sales made through our payment processing services.

JoyfulGives currently collects and remits sales tax in the state of California.

Many state marketplace seller laws are new and we expect further changes as additional states add marketplace seller tax laws or as the requirements clarified. We encourage you to check this page for updates. We understand that this change may come as a surprise to some users who are not used to collecting and remitting sales tax for casual sales. We believe that these marketplace laws should only apply to traditional merchant sales and we are working to try to amend these laws. If you are unhappy with the application of sales tax requirements to casual sales, we encourage you to reach out to your state legislators.

If you believe that tax should not have been applied to a purchase you made, or if you believe that the personal property rate is the incorrect rate for the item you purchased, we encourage you to contact your state Department of Revenue to collect a refund.